Last Friday, the ConTechTrio aired episode 42 of the podcast in which James Benham (@jamesmbenham), Rob McKinney (@conappguru) and Josh Bone (@bim2thebone) discussed the latest construction tech news. Headliners last week included the Atlanta ConTech Roadshow, highlights from the 2016 Trimble Dimensions User Conference, HTC Vive goes wireless and much more! Special guest Antti Korhonen (@Anttipk), President and CEO of Redpoint Positioning (@Redpointpos) also joined to discuss use cases for tracking employees in construction.
Listen to “#ConTechTrio Episode 42 – Antti Korhonen from @redpointpos talking about tracking in Construction.” on Spreaker.
Geek Out Product Of The Week:
Otterbox uniVERSE Case – The Otterbox uniVERSE modules provide your phone powerful new features, such as fisheye sensors, infrared sensors, flash drives and more!
Weekly ConTechTrio Twitter Poll:
Last Week’s Poll: Have you used photogrammetry to evaluate the construction project progress?
This Week’s Poll: Does your company utilize job site sensors to track movement of workers, tools or equipment? Visit the ConTechTrio Twitter page and simply answer “Yes” or “No.”
Early Bird Registration Open for Atlanta ConTech Roadshow
We’re excited to announce that the JBKnowledge ConTech Roadshow will make its debut in Atlanta, Georgia on December 6, 2016! The one day event will be held from 8am to 6pm at the Georgia Tech Learning Center. We will have educational sessions lead by the ConTechTrio on emerging tech, strategies and best practices and if you’re a SmartBid user a special track for training and education on the software. Early bird pricing available now but limited!
Construction Tech News:
2016 Trimble Dimensions User Conference: Highlights from Josh Bone
JBKnowledge resident BIM expert, Josh Bone, attended the Trimble Dimensions 2016 User Conference in Las Vegas, Nevada last week and highlighted his top moments on the podcast. This is a three-day event designed for Trimble users to learn, collaborate and network with their peers. Some of Josh’s event highlights featured on the episode included the following:
- Theory: Cost of data approaching zero (Presented by Trimble CEO, Steve Berglund)
- Trimble Sketchup Viewer for Microsoft HoloLens – Combination allows users to inhabit and experience design and construction projects in the most natural way possible.
- Trimble ProjectSight – Next generation of cloud-based project controls solution for construction managers and general contractors. This complete web and mobile solution streamlines the creation, access and sharing of project information between the office and the job site for more efficient, accurate and predictable project delivery.
- Automated Cloud Processing Service for Trimble Connect – Trimble announced new data processing capabilities for its cloud-based collaboration ecosystem, Trimble Connect.
- Trimble and Hilti Deliver Integrated Solutions – Hilti PROFIS Plugin for Tekla Structures allows engineers and detailers to apply PROFIS design information directly in a Tekla Structures model through the Trimble Connect collaboration platform.
- Trimble’s Acquisition of Building Data – The combination of Building Data’s experience in BIM content paired with Trimble’s software and hardware solutions for building construction will allow contractors and engineers to gain efficiencies throughout the building lifecycle.
3D Robotics Launches BIM Integration for Drone, Site Scan
3D Robotics new solution combines survey-grade drone imagery captured with its commercial drone, Site Scan, with digital project designs from the Autodesk BIM suite, providing exceptional project visibility and information for field managers.
Augmented & Virtual Reality
First AR-Based Remote Support Platform for Heavy Industry
Scope AR and Caterpillar delivered the first augmented reality-based live support video calling platform built for the specific remote assistance needs of industries using heavy machinery.
HTC Vive Goes Wireless
HTC announced a tether-less VR upgrade kit for its Vive device, made by TPCAST. The add-on is currently priced at $220.
Builders Battle Extreme Weather With Construction Tech (Construction Dive)
Check out this Construction Dive article highlighting the technologies the AEC industry is investing in to reduce the impact of extreme weather events.
Google’s Project Soli Can Now Identify Any Object
Researchers have taken Google’s wearable sensor, Soli, to the next level by allowing it to not only recognize gestures, but specific objects and materials. By touching just about anything to Soli’s radar plate, the system can learn to identify it!
Antti Korhonen, President and CEO of Redpoint Positioning, Discusses Use Cases for Tracking Employees in Construction
In the second half of the podcast, Antti Korhonen, President and CEO of Redpoint Positioning joined the ConTechTrio to discuss use cases for tracking employees in construction. Antti grew up in Finland, later moving to the United States to further his career. He started off in the Healthcare field, where he developed a wireless enterprise solution to track efficiency and safety of hospitals. Antti later landed his current position at Redpoint Positioning, where he utilized his technology tracking background to manage and grow the company to what it is today. On the podcast, Antti further explains the indoor GPS solution and the fundamentals of how the technology works. The ConTechTrio and Antti wrapped up the interview by reviewing the benefits of employee and asset tracking in real-time and the current barriers to adoption/acceptance within the construction industry.
Tune into the ConTechTrio podcast again this Friday for Episode 43, featuring special interviews from Autodesk University! Until then, you can catch up on past episodes of our construction technology podcast and even check out some bonus episodes via the links below!
Listen: Spreaker, SoundCloud , YouTube, iTunes
Follow On Twitter
James Benham: @jamesmbenham
Rob McKinney: @conappguru
Josh Bone: @bim2thebone